Master of Arts in Creative Writing
The mission of the Department of English is to provide transformative learning experiences in the multiple fields that comprise English studies. To fulfill this mission, faculty teach students to read and think critically about texts, to write effectively and creatively for multiple audiences and in multiple contexts and to apply best practices when teaching English in secondary and post-secondary settings. The Creative Writing program prepares English graduates to be productive, creative, ethical and engaged citizens and to contribute to the intellectual, cultural, economic and social advancement of our local and global communities.
Courses You’ll Take
Students pursuing this degree will complete a total of 33 hours: nine hours of theory and research, nine hours of required seminars, nine hours of approved writing courses, three hours of approved electives, and three hours of capstone experience.
Requirements for Admission
- Online application for admission.
- Official copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts from each institution attended with all degrees posted. All transcripts must be from accredited institutions.
- Transcripts must show:
- A minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA (overall) or 3.0 undergraduate GPA (last 60 hours completed); and, 18 hours of English (3000-or above) with a 3.0 GPA.
- Students may gain conditional admission by achieving a score of 150 (verbal) and 4.5 (analytical writing) on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Creative Writing graduates go on to pursue careers in a wide range of fields, including:
- Editing and Publishing
- Grant Writing
- Human Resources
- Library and Information Sciences
- Nonprofit and Arts Management
- Online and Print Journalism
- Public Relations
- Writing, in Multiple Genres
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.
Red Earth MFA
The Red Earth Online Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing at Oklahoma City University offers you the opportunity to study creative writing without sacrificing your life. Our program connects you with experienced creative and professional writers who will nurture your creative talent.
The Red Earth MFA combines online residencies, packet-based craft study with one of our accomplished faculty-mentors, and elective online courses in professional writing, pedagogy, secondary genre study, and more. Our students are warm, welcoming, and supportive–a true community.
The Red Earth MFA is an online Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing graduate studies program. Students will complete twelve hours of course work each fall and spring semester for two years, for a total of 48 hours that, along with the thesis, lead to the MFA in Creative Writing, a terminal degree in the field.
The online model is suitable for both traditional and nontraditional students: you can keep your job and keep up with your family responsibilities while studying for your MFA.
Virtual Info Session Dates
For additional information on the program and to meet with faculty, register for a virtual info session!