Doctor of Creative writing
Monash Arts PhD is an unrivalled graduate research degree that brings big picture thinkers together with world-leading academics, field experts and sector partners to uncover the change that needs to be made in our world.
About this course
Monash Arts PhD is an unrivalled graduate research degree that brings big picture thinkers together with world-leading academics, field experts and sector partners to uncover the change that needs to be made in our world. The PhD (Creative writing) degree gives you the opportunity to delve into cross-genre ideas supporting the challenges and needs of a contemporary writer in today’s critical and literary global communities, the practical experience to develop your expertise as a researcher, and the professional tools to give you a competitive edge in an ever-evolving employment market.
At the core of the PhD degree is the Arts Advantage PhD program. This consists of an extensive, independent research project supported by at least two expert academic supervisors, creating a written work, writing an accompanying critique, and professional development activities or coursework units that provide you with the skills to make an impact in academia, industry, government or the wider community.
What we offer in the Arts Advantage PhD program:
- An innovative, customisable program that offers tailored industry, sector and professional development opportunities to support and realise your research and career ambitions.
- Immersive research partnerships with world-renowned experts in our world-class facilities, amplifying your potential to make positive change in your field and in the world.
- An unparalleled global footprint and a Guaranteed Mobility offer with our domestic and international partners, to connect you to local, national and international opportunities, expand your perspective and help you create the most relevant, influential and scaleable research outcomes.
- Access to 120 hours ofprofessional development training with a menu of options to sharpen and strengthen your research, leadership communication and collaboration skills.
- Belonging to a tradition and network of the brightest research minds, leaders and peers in Australia and internationally, providing the reputation and networks that will enhance and propel your work.
- Your work will be housed alongside our world-renowned research centres such as the Gender, Peace and Security, Monash Centre for Consciousness and Contemplative Studies, Monash Indigenous Studies Centre and Monash Migration and Monash Inclusion Centre.
This customisable, innovative program is specially designed for PhD candidates who want to pioneer the change-making research in Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences that will make our world a better place for all.
PhD in Creative Writing
Monash Arts is renowned for innovative, engaging and high quality research in the humanities and social sciences and Arts Graduate Research is committed to providing graduate research education of the highest quality in a stimulating, supportive and professional environment.
A PhD offered in Creative Writing takes the form of the Monash Doctoral Program – a PhD for the 21st century. At the core of the program is an extensive, independent research project on an agreed topic, supported by a minimum of two expert academic supervisors. This is enhanced by professional development activities or coursework units that provide you with the skills required to make an impact in academia, industry, government or the wider community.
This course will give you the opportunity to delve into cross-genre ideas, supporting the challenges and needs of a contemporary writer in today’s critical and literary global communities.
Entry requirements vary depending on your program. Most Masters degrees require an average of 65% (or equivalent) in your Bachelor degree, and Bachelor degrees each have unique entry scores. For more information about local and international curricula, please contact Monash.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!
Tuition fees vary, and are listed with each degree on the Monash website under “Applications and Fees”. For more information, please contact us or visit our website.
Verge 2011: The Unknowable: Monash Annual Anthology of Creative Writing (Paperback)
Verge is Monash University’s annual anthology of creative writing. Verge showcases the best of Monash University, from all campuses and across faculties, including established Australian writers alongside new and emerging undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate student writers. Verge 2011 is the outcome of a collaborative creative research project titled “World Literature: Research, Practice and Pedagogy.” This project will elevate Verge’s international focus, and it is anticipated that other collaborative creative projects will develop from this initiative.