Best Descriptive Writing Sites Describing the beauty of nature
Describing a mountain is made easy with this post. This extract comes from my new book and workbook on Amazon. It is the ultimate descriptive guide for students and teachers. Check it out by clicking this title: Writing with Stardust or any of the book covers at the end of the post.
You can see the full chapter with the Level 4 and 5 story in PDF by clicking here: Describing Mountains
Thanks, as always, for all the nice comments. God bless for now. Liam.
LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2 LEVEL 3 LEVEL 4 LEVEL 5 OTHERS
|dove-white mountains||seashell-white mountains||flour-white mountains||angel-white mountains||halo-white mountains|
|bone-white mountains||vampire-white mountains||phantom-white mountains||lice-white mountains||fang-white mountains|
1. The dove-white mountain soared into the sky.
2. The seashell-white mountain jutted into the sky.
3. The phantom-white mountain reared into the sky.
4. The lice-white mountains were sombre and towered over us.
5. The fang-white mountains were brooding and loomed over us.
1. I heard a clapping sound and a huge wall of snow crashed down.
2. Rumbling and roaring, a wave of white surged down the mountain side.
3. A deep, booming noise erupted and the flank of the mountain became a chute of white.
4. We heard a sinister, growling sound and a cascade of white thundered down the mountain.
5. A bellowing sound rent the air and a tsunami of snowsluiced down the flank of the mountain.
1. The wrinkled mountains were cocoon quiet.
2. The craggy mountains were Zion quiet.
3. The nirvana quiet mountains had jagged peaks.
4. The knobbly face of the mountain was grizzled and sacristy quiet.
5. We gazed up at the rugose and rough-hewn mountains with a sense of awe. They were mysterious and catacomb quiet.
1. A ring of snow covered the sky-punching mountain.
2. A bracelet of snow topped the sky-spearing mountain.
3. A brooch of snow draped the heaven-kissing mountain.
4. The snow-hooded mountains were encased in a necklace of white.
5. The snow-festooned mountain peaks were embalmed with tiaras of powdery snow.
1. The mist grabbed at the ankle of the mountain.
2. The sly mist snatched at the leg of the mountain.
3. The crafty mist clutched at the elbow of the mountain as it passed.
4. The cunning mist fumbled atthe mountain’s neck with its filmy tentacles.
5. The insidious mist ensnared the crown of the mountain.
LEVEL 1: BASIC SENTENCES
1. The mountains were bone-white.
2. A wall of snow came crashing down.
3. The mountains were crinkled at the top.
4. They were sky-piercing.
5. The foot of one mountain was covered in mist.
LEVEL 2: A BASIC PARAGRAPH
The mountains were vampire-white. A wave of white snow went rumbling down the sides. They were all crumpled at the base. They were sky-stabbing at the top. The legs of the mountains were very wide. The peaks of the mountains were like harpoon tips. They were shrouded in ghost-grey mist. The air was chilling and numbing. We could smell a pot roast being cooked. We tasted some and it was stellar.
LEVEL 3: CREATIVE PARAGRAPHS
The serrated mountains loomed in the distance. We made our way towards them as we had to make base camp by nightfall. They were flour-white and brooded over the land. Just as we approached, a chute of snow detached itself and went trundling down one of the mountains. It slid over the knotted edge and then went crashing into the chasm below. The silence that followed was spine chilling. It froze our marrow to think that we would be climbing in those conditions tomorrow.
The heaven-touching apex of the mountain was drenched in brilliant light. Spikes of thin light impaled the snow in a bristling, moving line. We assumed that the heat had displaced the snow from the hip of the time chiselled mountain. All across our line of sight, the tips of the mountain range stuck up like a row of thorns. Swaddled around them were necklaces of powdery snow. The air became arctic cold as we came closer to base camp. The unmistakable whiff of chargrilled lamb wafted to our noses. Dinner that night was cosmic.
For much more of the above, please check out my book Writing with Stardust or any of the book covers underneath.
mountains – quotes and descriptions to inspire creative writing
The mountains have kept safe the soul of this land for time unmeasured and tell of it in words unspoken.
In the sunlight the mountain peaks are a celebration of greys, from sweet blue-slate to silver-white.
The mountains rose as great rocky declarations of hope to a sky that ever-heard.
The mountains are dressed in evergreens right up to their crowns of silver-white.
The mountains stand sentry to the bluest of lake waters.
If the earth had a pulse it rose through the mountains, creating their bold silhouette. To my eye, their peaks are the green line of a doctor’s graph. I saw those rocks at dawn, those slopes that give home to so much life, a foundation for trees and shrubs, grass and ferns. With blue above and below, in the sky and lake, ever lightening as the sun rose, I knew it would be a good day. I just knew.